Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Water Fasting

For the next 28 days I will be conducting an experiment. I am going to fast for the next four weeks. Not a juice fast or a 15-hour per day fast, but a water fast. Crazy you say? Read on.

Water Fasting

According to Wikipedia:

Fasting is primarily the act of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time. A fast may be total or partial concerning that from which one fasts, and may be prolonged or intermittent as to the period of fasting.

In my case, it is an abstention from any and all food. Apart from water and tea.

I will eat no solid food, nor any calorie containing beverages for 28 days.

WHY?

I have thought about doing this for some time, but always thought I had to prepare for a fast. Like every other species on the planet, the body is built for fasting and knows exactly what to do. You don't need to clean the house before the maid comes, and we don't need to have done anything in particular to prepare for fasting. The body Is prepared and never detoxes too quickly. It knows exactly what it's doing.

Over the past months I have been feeling sluggish, depressed, ugly and just not the person I was last summer. I think a lot of this has to do with the poor eating habits I have instilled out of boredom. I am thinking the fasting will give my body a chance to get all of the toxins out of my body and aid in the awareness that I should only put into my body what is life serving and life giving.

Writing the Experience

I will be posting here nearly every day as I go along, and I will be 100% honest about what is happening. Whatever may or may not arise, you’ll read about it.

I won’t say I’ll post every day, but if anything of significance – or apparent significance – arises, I’ll post it.

The Physical Results

I will be taking notes on any physical changes that may occur. (Some of these changes, I am sure, will be gross – or at least, unpleasant. But I’ll try not to gross anybody out!)

I am sure there will be a great change in my body, along with a “re-set” of how I crave food. Actually, I am very curious to see how many "re-sets" will occur.

Support

Having supportive friends and family is important for most of us, especially when going through an experiment of this kind. Interestingly, I am choosing to keep a low profile for the next few weeks. One reason is I do not want any temptation. I am so much as posting my journal on this blog as oppose to a blog I typically use until the 28 days have ended. Once over, I will transfer the blog posts to my otherwise used blog.

It All Began Today

Day one of my twenty eight day water fast is nearly complete, and I have to say it was very pleasant and unexceptional.

I cannot say that today was in any way different from any other day. I functioned as I normally do, with no increase in hunger or desire for food.

There is a sense of physical freedom that comes from the absence of food. It is difficult to explain. There is no need for preparation, no need to decide what to eat, and no need to wait for anyone. One can move in any direction with no need to slow down for sustenance.

There was also an increase in focused energy today. Not necessarily a stimulant type of feeling, but more of an ease into attention. The body is still unsure about how to use this freed energy formerly spent in the act of digestion. I am really looking forward to where it settles.

This reminds me of reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In the various adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Watson explained that Holmes would never eat while in the middle of a case. He didn’t want to waste energy in any direction, and he felt food would be a detriment to his focus. I am beginning to understand what he meant.

I am barely underway with twenty seven days left to go. It is a very exciting time, and I look forward to whatever may come.

I am sure there will be more interesting happenings as time goes on, as we are just getting started. So stay tuned.

No comments: