Thursday, April 22, 2010

Water Fast - Day 3

It is the end of the third day of my fast, and it is all suspiciously easy. I am not sure if I am drinking enough fluids but I have been drinking several cups of green tea to help keep me warm.

I have a few notes that may be of interest.

The Toothbrush: Your New Best Friend

Each sunrise has brought with it the most ungodly morning breath. If you plan on being active during your fast, or if you will be around others for extended periods of time, please do them a favor and bring your toothbrush along with a travel size tube of toothpaste. It might just make a difference in your daily life.

Along with the dragon breath, there is a thick coat to the tongue each morning. It is a very thick, mucus-like material. Your new best friend will help you out with that.

The coat on the tongue only seems to happen in the morning, but the breath rises from the dead every few hours. I have read that both will pass eventually during the fast. I am looking forward to it.

Energy Levels

I seemed to have an abundance of energy throughout the day. I was able to clean both bedrooms from top to bottom and get all of the laundry done, which surprised me. I planned on taking it easy and conserving energy, but if I have the energy, why not?

Diminished Focus

Today was the worst day so far concerning one’s ability to focus. It was difficult to gather the focus to just read. The attention or skill needed to perform physical tasks seem to quickly lose momentum. My mind processes seem to take a few seconds more to find their footing. It is a terrible environment for learning something new.

This too will pass before too long, but I need to be diligent to sit and see this as it arises. It cannot be taken for granted.

Detoxification

I have read on fasting websites that it may take up to two weeks for the bowels to begin a heavy clean-up process. I won’t be overly descriptive, but it seems that it may take a bit longer for me. I have always had a hard time pooping no matter how much water or fiber I get. I am taking some natural senna to help with the elimination process.

Benefits

So far, the greatest benefit seems to be easier sleep. Not only is it easier to fall asleep, but it is much easier to wake in the morning. It is a very “clean” awakening with no remnants of the last night’s culinary indulgences. Going to sleep on a completely empty stomach might be of benefit to one that is not fasting, as well.

I also jumped on the scale this morning and I am down three pounds from when I started on Tuesday. I was expecting one pound a day so I am right on target.

No comments: