Thursday, April 26, 2007

My Life So Far

2007 has already become a banner year. Looking back, I am proud and amazed of everything my hubby and I have accomplished. I enjoyed the process, but we are reaching for even bigger goals and the accompanying lifestyle.

I've imagined that magical life many times--both of us working from home, traveling, decorating my house to perfection, Hayden being involved in all the activities he desires, cashing in on my talents. I still want that life, but the pursuit has been dizzying. I am still doing Southern Living at HOME and making a half-hearted attempt to get business. I'm working out now and will be traveling back to Washington to see my sister, friends, and family.

There has also been a subtle shift in my attitude. I am making peace with my life as it is instead of yearning for the other. I've taken on the challenges of vice president of my son's school's PTA which adds an element of change and a sense of pride to my day. I am starting to gently landscape the flowerbeds to give it more curb appeal. Small changes to my living room and bedroom have made my downtime more restorative. With my clean kitchen, I find that cooking is enjoyable. I drive a little further to shop at a grocery store I really like instead of complaining that the closest one does not have the necessary ingredients. I read more to Pookiebear and spend less time on the computer. I am committed to living in this, the present, with a sense of wonder and enjoyment and gratitude.

Not that I don't want the life of my dreams. I still want to be a well-respected contributor of something. I'd like to work out of my house that overlooks the pool and container gardens. But I think that, paramount in the quest is the ability to fully appreciate this life when it comes to fruition. This is not a quality I can hope for when the time comes; I must cultivate it now. Maybe this means that I take the scenic route instead of the direct path to my dreams.

That day will come. Until then, I'll take quiet joy in sowing the seeds.

No comments: